Monday, June 22, 2015

David Woodfield

Who am I? Let me try to answer this question. I’m a 52-year-old pakeha Christian male. I was born in Christchurch, New Zealand in 1963. I live with my wife, Patricia, my daughter, Sarah, and our dog, Neo, in one of Dunedin’s leafy hill suburbs.

On weekdays, I walk to the UOLC to teach ESOL. I love my job here for several reasons. First, I love words. I love both the order and complexity of language. In addition, I enjoy exploring various media such as magazine articles, songs and movie clips with my students, in their quest to unlock the English language’s secrets. To top off these points, I relish working in such a multicultural environment where each of us involved in a class can learn so much about each other’s cultures. You can hardly fail to widen your horizons in a UOLC class!

I enjoy participating in the life of my church, attending worship services on Sunday mornings, a Bible study ‘home group’ on Tuesday nights, and a book club meeting once a month. My faith in God brings me an overarching reason for living and informs the decisions I make about what is right and what is wrong. It challenges me to consider what I can do to make the world a better place.

On a typical weekday evening, I enjoy watching a little TV, and listening to music while cooking dinner and stacking the dishwasher. I enjoy quite a wide variety of music. Recently I have been listening to quite a lot of folk rock and rock with a jazz flavour. Musicians I have been listening to of late include Bob Dylan, Gram Parsons, Buffalo Springfield and Nina Simone. Interestingly much of this music was made in the 60s and 70s.

I also enjoy reading. Some of the kinds of books I enjoy include books about Christian spirituality and lifestyle, books about interior design, biographies and crime novels.

On Saturdays, I sometimes go to school fairs or flea markets to buy oriental ceramics or second hand books or CDs. Alternately, I go for a hike in the hills with Neo. I love walking in the bush and up on the tops around Dunedin. The views over the city and the sea refresh me, and besides that I need the exercise to stay healthy.

As for my character, I would say I’m optimistic and enthusiastic. My weak point though I would say is ‘leaving things to the last minute.’

Well welcome aboard this ship that is Upper Int. DW. I’m looking forward to finding out where we are going to go. It’s all up to us.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, David! I'm glad to be your student. My host parents also Christian, so I usually go to church every Sunday as well. It's good opportunity to know what is worship servicing like. Cuz most of Japanese are Buddhism, we don't know about Christian so much. For me, houever, a bible study is quite hard to understand, especially in English. It will take a long time to be able to do it. The most interesting thing is singing a song:) I enjoy to do it every week. Anyway I'll put all my effort into studying until this term finishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your note, Hono. It's cool that you have had the opportunity to attend church services. As you get used to the format and characteristic vocabulary of such services, you'll understand the content of them better.
      May God Bless You,
      David

      Delete
  2. I'm so delighted to have you as our teacher. Hopefully, some days you'll go to travel in Thailand because I'll take you travel around. Anyway, thanks a lot for teaching us. :))

    ReplyDelete